Download the Infographic
Who Is the Email From?
- You don't recognize the sender or domain.
- The email was sent from a known
contact, but the content seems
unusual or out of character.
Who Is the Email Addressed To?
- You were cc'd on an email, but don't recognize the other recipients.
- The email was sent to an unusual mix of people.
Does the Email Contain Hyperlinks?
- Hover over links before you click on them, to confirm the domain.
- Avoid clicking on misspelled and unusually long hyperlinks.
What Was the Email Subject?
- The subject line is irrelevant or doesn't match the message content.
- The email is asking for a response to something you never sent or requested.
What Was the Purpose/Content of the Email?
- The email contains compromising, threatening, or exploitative content.
- The email contains multiple spelling errors, bad grammar, or illogical sentences.
What Time Was the Email Sent?
- You received a routine email - but far outside normal business hours.
Did the Email Have Any Attachments?
- There is an unexpected or suspicious attachment in the email.
- The email contains a potentially dangerous file type.